Saturday, May 31, 2014

Week Four: Divergence

Stories about the same group of people or the same country diverge in all sorts of interesting ways. Newby includes excerpts from a variety of travelers whose explorations of (in this case) North America include encounters with unknown landscapes, animals, Native Americans, and "the white man" (432-4), and includes more contemporary Anglo-American perspectives, including those in the 19th century that offer advice as to how to live well on the eastern seaboard at the turn of the last century (429-30), and a description of New York City in the 1940s (437-8). What's interesting about these multiple perspectives is the way in which different authors focus on different aspects of the same landscape.

Divergence is central to these literary interpretations; different writers focus on different aspects of the same culture based on their own experiences, although bias and prejudice would color their points of view, too, based on experience. (This is sometimes frustratingly circular; bad experiences lead to bias, which can lead to further bad experiences.) Columbus' Eurocentric views of religious conversion are central to his narrative, and as a means of demonstrating friendship, he provides what are (to his mind) snazzy clothing (383-4).

Similarly, Cartier's sixteenth-century descriptions include a dismissive attitude towards Native American theology, and include descriptions of the apparently hearty disposition of the Hurons (385-7). These stories are not necessarily dissimilar; rather, they include multiple narratives that could be seen as confirming a stereotype. Cartier's narrative especially has almost a tone of an outsider with his descriptions of indifference to cold and "very bad customs" of placing the daughters in the tribe, when they reach a certain age, into a brothel. Of course, these are just two examples, and not necessarily fully representative of what we might consider an ignorant mindset.

If these travel accounts were written today, I would consider them a form of willful misunderstanding, and would I not consider any one example more authoritative than another. I would not ignore these narratives, though, either, because they provide insight into a Eurocentric mindset such that we could analyze how travelers and their writings have changed.

Perhaps they're as important to the growth of travel writing as a genre because they allow us to compare how our attitudes have shifted towards different cultures; I've come to think of early travel writing as foundational. We "listen" to whatever stories are interesting to us and use them as a source of comparison to develop our own opinions about another country. These multiple stories fill in the gaps and offer different perspectives that we might not have otherwise considered.

More recently, stories from journalists who cover war-torn areas add a different dimension of understanding that we miss if we limit ourselves to news sources or more typical investigative journalism. Chilson's "The Border" is a good example of one journalist whose article examines movable borders, both geographical and cultural, while incorporating multiple viewpoints from those on different sides of the war in Cote d’Ivoire and Mali. In this case, authority is tied to Chilson's credibility; multiple attitudes are prevalent throughout the piece, leading to a deeper understanding of the complexities of the trying to negotiate multiple types of boundaries.

Authority can be misleading, though: Credibility can be suspect, and can be culturally defined in terms of both geography and history. Definitions of what women are capable of, for example, has changed, but remains culturally inconsistent. Schribner provides examples of the ways in which women traveling was considered dangerous, with the potential of wreaking domestic havoc, a danger to social structure, order, and system (27). Clearly, women were seen as delicate creatures who needed the protection of men. In western cultures, and in many eastern cultures, this thinking is now suspect and not credible (dare I say incredible). When I hear stories that indicate that women are to be protected, under a man's care, that women should not have educations or be allowed to drive, I am exasperated. I belittle this line of thinking in the same way I might have been belittled a century ago.

The story that we truly listen to is the one that resonates, or is one that comes from a person with whom we feel connected. I wish I had been a bit braver in talking to the native Icelanders in whose midst I spent nearly three weeks last summer. The waiter who taught me how to pronounce "Eyjafjallajökull" was very funny and very friendly; Sigurbjörg, the woman who led my husband and me on an elf tour in Hafnarfjördur was also very friendly and obliged me by answering me (probably ridiculous) questions about Icelandic schools and culture. Certainly Sigurbjörg was authoritative on Icelandic elf culture, and it was a wonderful insight into Icelandic fairy culture. (Ireland has a similarly strong fairy and fairytale culture, and since I grew up being told Irish fairytales, going on this elf tour appealed to me.)

a troll rock from the Hidden World Walk tour; if you look
carefully you can see a big forehead  and a nose; the face points to the left
Something about first-hand insider accounts lend credence and authority. In this particular case, I was able to relate Icelandic culture to my own heritage, and allowed me to briefly connect to another culture.

8 comments:

  1. Michelle,

    I stopped in Iceland on my way to the UK, but only for one night. I really wish I could have explored Iceland more the way you did. I did get to walk along the water in Reykjavik and through the city streets. It reminded me a little bit of Alaska: chilly, coastal, relaxed people.

    I think you're right that the story we listen to is the one that resonates with us. No matter how well written something is, if I can't connect to it in any way, it just won't be as effective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle,

    From the short history of Iceland that is linked to your blog it appears that the Irish may have gathered some of the fairytale culture from the raiding Vikings, or at least a sort of rendition of it, especially in the construct of the Hidden People. I am reminded of the work of Tolkien, who incorporated elves and hobbits into his writing. C.S Lewis as well, incorporated the idea of parallel worlds into his stories for children.I am also reminded of Shakespeare's Midsummer Night's Dream and the characters Puck, Titanium, and Oberon.

    I never realized that the fairytale culture was still so alive and vibrant in Iceland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the things I learned was that the Vikings (who, incidentally, founded Dublin) had gone to Ireland and made off with a slew of their women, taking them back to Iceland, so there had been mDNA findings that linked much of the population to Irish women and Icelandic/Viking men, which would probably explain at least some of the cross-pollination of fairy tales.

      Delete
  3. Michelle, what a delightful blog entry this week! Not only did I get a glimpse into your thoughts on divergence in literary interpretations, but I was also enriched with beautiful photos and information about Iceland, elf tours, Irish fairy tales and the Hidden World Walk.

    You were able to connect stories from your waiter and the elf tour, tour guide, into your thoughts on multiple stories that are now combined into your story.

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle,

    Your stories about traveling Iceland and taking an "elf tour" were really fun to read! Sounds like you had a really unique trip that engaged with different aspects of Icelandic culture. I wonder what else you did during the trip and how it might relate to experiencing different stories in one place/broadening our view of place. Did your trip to Iceland meet your expectations? What surprised you while you were there?

    I understand that "wishing I was braver" in regard to talking to people ... when I'm playing my role as "journalist" on assignment, it's really easy to approach people because I have an excuse. But when it's just me, when I'm being myself, I'm actually pretty shy. I felt that with this interview assignment - I told my boyfriend, "I don't know how to approach people if I'm not representing a newspaper or magazine." He said, "Just tell them you are a writer." Still nervous, but no body else seemed phased. It might be a good trick in the future.

    --Heidi H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Heidi. I started thinking about your questions, and I realized I tend to travel with no real expectations about what I'd find. I research a little in terms of what seasonal weather is like (especially if it's a place I haven't been to before), so I can dress accordingly, but my sole expectation was to have a good time and enjoy the trip with my husband, and perhaps learn a bit of Icelandic history, all of which I did. I had no real honest-to-goodness surprises, possibly because I've been to northern Europe before, and Europe in general, so I feel I have a good sense of how to navigate while traveling abroad, but when I go someplace new, I go in with the thought, "I wonder what it's like. Let's see what's over there!" and that's about it. I should talk to people more; I do worry (perhaps that's too strong a word) about being judged because I'm American, but I can't help that I am, so just looking for even small ways to connect is the something I can work more on.

      Delete
  5. Your first paragraph on divergence is a great opening. As you say, each writer scribes their work colored with all of their experiences, biases, and special gifts, as a group of artists would each reflect a varied view of a particular landscape. I suppose, if you took the blogs of all the students of this graduate studies class, it would have a similar result. Our truth seeking grows stronger in our multiplicity.

    You weave the sources from which we drew up questions and analysis deftly.

    I would love a sound clip on how to pronounce "Eyjafjallajökull." I truly can't imagine it!

    Rhea

    ReplyDelete
  6. And, I eat my words. Genius! (pronunciation of Eyjafjallajokull).. I'm too impulsive on the send button. It's hard to find points of improvement here Michelle. :-)

    ReplyDelete