Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Week Five: Agents of Change

Several years ago, I came across a video podcast in which Rick Steves discussed the ways in which travel is a political act. (I hadn't known that his talk was based on his book Travel as a Political Act.) This particular talk was part of a video podcast lecture series that included lectures on travel skills, a lecture on Italy, and a lecture on Iran.



Until I watched his talk, my exposure to Steves had been limited to an awareness of his travel guidebooks (none of which I believe I have bought) and his show, which airs in my area on a PBS affiliates. I found him to be a good speaker and his talk interesting because he emphasized that the foundation of travel is one in which the traveler interacts, as much as possible, with the people who live in the area that is being traveled to. Steves discusses the ways in which travel shaped his politics and broadened his perspectives. 

A novel concept to be sure, given that some critics and their theories indicate that travel writers are of a predominantly imperial mindset, that travel writing is almost insidiousness in its inability to present the truth, and that travel narratives “cannot be verified, hence the ready and habitual equation of traveller and liar" (Clark 1). Charging all travel writers with imperialism presupposes that all travel writers come from imperial or colonial backgrounds, or that they see the world through an imperial lens; I cannot believe that all travel writing is the result of imperial conquest. This is cynical and, I believe, the result of imperial thinking itself in presuming that others must come from a comparable background and view other people through a similar lens. 

Steves' talk had resonated with me the first time I saw it, and it does so even more now that I have read travel writing theory and applications. An "agent of change" requires being communicative; it requires an ability to simply talk to people, and negates any potential behind imperialism because it exposes the traveler to different politics.


Being an agent of change can simply be the cause and result of being kind, friendly, and open. Being an agent of change does not need to include elaborate actions; the sacrifice and immersion to which Novograt refers does not have to result in moving to an African country or founding an organization; it can be looking for small acts domestically, but it does start with educating oneself to see what the possibilities are. It can start with educating yourself and learning about the history behind where you're visiting, and realizing how nuanced history is. King discusses some of the history behind slavery in Barbados. While she examines some of the imperialism behind the history, this does not imply that her motivations are imperial, yet her blog posts are indicative of some of the ways in which history is chaotic. In this case, Lisle is correct in asserting that "travel writing provides an opportunity to escape the forces of modernity and globalisation and retreat back into a Golden Age of discovery, exploration and Empire" (204); Barbados - and indeed many other countries - have a history that includes being overthrown, the inhabitants raped, killed, dispersed, their lands taken, their language and culture destroyed. 

And it can cause us to simply share our traveling experiences and our own histories. A recent conversation on which I was admittedly only the edges led to a discussion of some of the colonizing of India and Ireland by the British. The person with whom I and another person were speaking did not know some of the extent to which Britain had acted. His position was that Britain had done quite a bit to help modernize India, what with paving roads, etc., but the third person in our party was able to contextualize to what degree the British government had destroyed and impoverished the native people, their lands, their culture. Simple education leads to being introduced to histories of other people and of other places, which expands our thinking, which causes us to rethink our beliefs and convictions, to understand the damage that can be done - it causes us to rethink.

4 comments:

  1. Great post, Michelle. I am always anxious to learn and be educated regarding cultures and histories of which I'm unfamiliar/ignorant. As a resident of Kern County, there are many, many references to Cesar Chavez, who helped found the United Farm Workers Union and was a leader in the Farm Workers movement, but until I moved to Bakersfield, I was pretty ignorant of that entire history. I recently learned that it's considered bad form to bring grapes to any education event (I work in education) in Kern County. The students can bring grapes as gifts, if they choose to, but bringing grapes purchased from the store is a sign of disrespect and, essentially, classism/racism. I HAD NO IDEA. It makes sense, of course, since so many individuals, for generations, have been abused in the grape fields, and thus they've become a symbol of oppression in certain contexts. But, boy, am I glad someone told me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love hearing stories like yours, Siegrin, because it reminds me of how tricky culture can be to navigate even if you're ostensibly part of it; there are degrees of insider/outsider status (as this class has made me realize) but there are aspects that would be impossible to know unless someone makes you aware of it, as you've experienced. Even if living as part of a culture, there as so many nuanced aspects to it that one can miss.

      Delete
    2. Hi Michelle,

      My favorite aspect of your post, and this is one I am emphasizing after what we learned, is that it doesn't have to be a sweeping motion, for example joining an overseas NGO and devoting your life to a cause vehemently, to be a powerful agent of change. I like how you mention it is the little things that have a powerful effect. Aside from being kind, friendly and open, do you have any more suggestions?

      It is hard for us to recognize our own faults. Travelers with imperialist attitudes are the last to know, for one, because it is a position of power and privilege, and unconsciously, those holding it often strive to keep it. I think the change has to come on a societal level, and each individual must examine the contribution he or she is making in relation to all others.
      One last point on the visual aspect; I really like how you put links and Steves' video in the blog post, so readers who haven't had a chance to explore all we did in our course can view and read and form their opinions. I hope we get more inquiries from people outside our course joining in this dialogue.

      Rhea

      Delete
  2. Michelle,

    I was the same regarding previous exposure to Rick Steves being pretty low in the past, but now I love him!

    Good point about charging others with imperial tendencies. It's often hard for people NOT to project their weaknesses on to other people. You are right that not all writing comes from that place of entitlement, but just being aware of it has sure helped me to at least become cognizant of when my thinking starts to go in that direction.

    I liked the example of the conversation you had about the U.K.'s role in India's improvements. I wonder if I have ever been that person, just rattling off my opinion while the others politely nodded despite my ignorance. Probably! Well I hope to learn more about history and other cultures throughout my lifetime, so hopefully that won't happen too many more times :)

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete